Monday, May 08, 2006

Committment of Ryan Mallett---shades of Drew Henson

The blogs have been abuzz over the recent committment of Ryan Mallett the high school JUNIOR from Texarkana, TX. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got him and I'm sure as heck glad we got him over that goofy looking Jimmy Clausen who committed to Notre Dame. However, I can't help but think back to the days of Drew Henson from Brighton, MI. Once burned, twice shy. I remember being SO excited when Drew was coming to U-M. I was one of those goofballs that thought we would win 4 national championships. (As an aside, I see Jimmy Clausen made the mistake this year of forecasting 4 national championships in his team's future). Well we all know what happened with Drew. He never quite lived up to his billing even after Tom Brady graduated and the team was all his. Mallett is only a junior and needs to concentrate on having a great high school senior season. All the hype surrounding him could hurt his development. Obviously, people are excited that he committed to U-M but I try and never to get too "up" on a recruit. If Henson can fizzle, so can Mallett. I hope people go back to focusing on Chad Henne (the starting U-M junior QB) rather than Mallett, the high school junior QB who will (possibly) start for us in the future if everything works out right. Ask Matt Gutierrez about that next time you see him. Oh wait, he transferred.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home