Michigan's bowl record history
Yesterday's loss dropped Michigan's all-time bowl game record to 18 wins and 20 losses. In the Rose Bowl, Michigan's record now stands at 8 wins and 12 losses (4-12 in the modern era since Bo Schembechler arrived in 1969). Michigan's loss to USC yesterday marked the Wolverines third Rose Bowl game loss in the past four years. (For a more detailed discussion of Michigan's history in "The Granddaddy of Them All," see the recent post of December 19, 2006: Michigan's history in the Rose Bowl). This season was the 32nd consecutive year that Michigan played in a bowl game. Michigan has amassed a poor 14-18 record during that era. Here are some other bowl related facts:
- Coach Schembechler (2-8 in the Rose Bowl) is the only coach in Michigan history to win more than one Rose Bowl game. (1981 & 1989).
- Coach Carr's Rose Bowl record now stands at 1-3 with his one win coming in the 1998 Rose Bowl game that gave Michigan the AP National Championship.
- Coach Carr's bowl game record is 5-7.
- Coach Carr won 4 consecutive New Year's Day games from 1/1/98-1/1/01. (Rose;Citrus;Orange; & Citrus).
- Coach Carr has now lost 4 consecutive bowl games. (Rose;Rose;Alamo; & Rose).
- Coach Schembechler's all-time bowl record at Michigan was 5-12.
- Coach Moeller's all-time bowl record at Michigan was 4-1.
- Coach Moeller was 1-1 in Rose Bowl games.
- Coach Yost, Coach Crisler, Coach Oosterbaan and Coach Elliott were each 1-0 in the Rose Bowl.
For any bowl game questions that you may still have, check the Michigan Rose Bowl Media Guide Bowl Records section in PDF format. Go Blue!
Labels: Michigan's Bowl record history