Sunday, October 07, 2007

Chad Henne continues to find his groove as he recovers from injury

The Eastern Michigan game marked Chad Henne's second start but first full game since returning from a leg injury. Specifically, Chad is recovering from a partial tear of the posterior cruciate ligament of the right knee. He is still playing with a brace on his knee. Chad had a good game against EMU as he continued to ease himself back into the swing of things. Chad was 17 of 26 passes for 195 yards and 1 touchdown with 2 interceptions. Chad appears ready to go as the Wolverines (4-2) head into the second half of their schedule which includes rivalry games against Michigan State and Ohio State.

At a press conference this past week, Henne let it be known that he did not exactly appreciate the fans booing his performance during the first two games of the season and their calling for his backup Ryan Mallett to be put in the game in his stead. Henne said it reminded him of the Brady/Henson days and Henne stated in no uncertain terms that he was going to lead the team. He stated,"Through my injury and them wanting to chant Ryan's coming in, it reminds me of going back to Tom Brady's days when Drew Henson was coming in. It's all a bunch of B.S. but it's not going to happen. I have too much pride to let that happen. I'm not going to let myself slip just because of one thing. Ryan's a great person and I have a lot of respect for him, but it's my team, it's my senior year and I'm going to go out and play my best football these next couple games." Unfortunately, I saw this coming back when Mallett first enrolled at Michigan. Despite the fact that Henne is Michigan's all-time TD passing leader (and will hold most other records by the time he is done), there is a vocal part of the fan base that is disgruntled and wants to move on to the next big thing (i.e., Ryan Mallett). I can understand Henne's frustration as he deserves better considering everything he has done for the program during his four years. He is a tremendous leader and an outstanding quarterback. I hope he can close out his career with seven (7) more victories. Go Blue!

*Note: Photo of Chad Henne (7) by JOHN T. GREILICK/The Detroit News from the 9/29/07 Northwestern game

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home